Thread: BMW manual
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
The BMW Reprom assumes you are BMW friendly, have skills with tools, experience with mechanical things and are conversant with their terminology and motorcycle.
Actually, there is no RepRom for the 1100; that is a fairly recent development (now, I am dating myself...) What the OP has - presumably - is a PDF version of the standard big binder that was the factory manual until late 90's, at least.

Still, this is the GOLDEN REFERENCE, as it includes all tech data, specifications, torque values, and so on, and so on. I believe that no self-respecting BMW shade-tree mechanic/owner should be without the factory tech literature, whether it is the PDF manual or the RepRom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
So I bought a Pdf version of the factory BMW service manual It is SO vague and there are no pictures, just really lame drawings...
Are you sure you have the factory manual? I assume you bought the ripped copy off eBay - some of them are not the real thing.

I have used the BMW books and their PDF versions for close to 20 years by now and I always found them to be quite informative. The "lame drawings", as you call them, actually were the best thing ever in the days of monochrome publications: they eliminate the distracting clutter of background parts and scenery. If you have hard time viewing tech sketches, you won't go far in your repair tasks... I hate to tell you.

Clymer? Hanes? I have R-bike and K-bike manuals from both. From that era, their pictures are monochrome as well and they suck. I cannot orient myself in their details. Worse yet, there are errors in specifications listed by either of the publishers - like wrong tolerances, wrong torque values - meaning that you still have to refer to the BMW publication to confirm each procedure.

Full color 3-D-quality pictures may be the norm nowadays, but, guess what: your bike is over 15 years old. What you found is all you get. Those days we had no computers. We communicated using tin cans and string... and we loved it! (Maybe).

You are engaging in an involved project with your RT-toGS conversion. I would not rely on Haynes for a reference. OTOH, I'd investigate if the BMW file set is the real and complete thing.

rdwalker screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 04:59 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote