View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
mwilliamshs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Luggage is $$$. Welding is $.

Researching dual-sport luggage options made me realize that you can quickly double your investment in a bike if you put bags on it. Very surprised. It is just not this way in the Harley world. I've seen the moto-mule trailers and the Dual-Sport Trailer Assembly thread here and decided we'll be towing at least one single-wheel trailer on our trip. Might build two and sell one upon our return. Going shopping for parts donors next time I'm home. (4 days or so from now). Has anybody seen a clean way to mount gas cans cheaper than a Rotopax? I'm thinking 2 of the 1.5 gallon Blitz style cans would be about right. For this trip I could split them onto differing trailers but I'd like to have 2-3 gallons or so reserve capacity on the one I keep and I think it makes sense to use 2 small cans instead of a single larger can. Eggs all in one basket and weight-distribution being the main reasons I prefer it this way. Also, I could replace a fuel can with water and vice-versa more easily this way, especially useful when you have 2 trailers. Just as easy to carry 3 gals fuel and 3 gals water (as long as you keep your cans separate and labeled!) My main concern with a home-built trailer is the stiffness of the rear shock(s) due to a trailer probably being lighter than whatever donor you rob parts from. Just have to figure that out when I get there. I do think a tank bag will be useful to keep things closer at hand than the trailer would allow and also a safe spot to charge phones, radios, etc. Anybody have a favorite tank bag for the bikes I mentioned in my first post? (WRR, KLR, XT, DRZ etc)
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote