View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #9792
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
If you could have shortened your front forks, can you guess how many inches it would have been? 1"? 2"?

Also, let's say I have the newly rebuilt fork (seals were pissing oil in the package) and YZ front wheel and front brake-- I think all I need are bearings, correct? Can you tell me what bearings I need or a link to the thread which spells it out? I have read for hours and I know that the bearings are same size OD and different ID or vice versa, but I never saw something that said "Order bearing XXXX"

Aside from the ignition, what else is left to handle?

I'm ditching the BMW bars and I'll run straight MX bars with Cycra or Acerbis barkbusters. I don't have heated grips. a New Ohlins rear shock is on order as well.
Let's see.

I had my forks done by House of Horsepower, and they were lowered 1 inch, and I set them about 3/8" up in the triples, so about 1-3/8" lowered from full height. They have progressive springs in them. I don't remember the rate, but it was what he recommended for my weight (180 pounds). I'm still running the stock rear shock. If you ordered your Ohlins a different length from stock, you might need less or more lowering.

For the steering head bearings, order a standard set of YZ bearings. They are the correct size to fit in the BMW steering head tube. You probably also want to order a KTM upper bearing cover (I can look up the P/N later, same part for all KTM dirt bikes all the way back to 2000).

I made a simple ignition adapter out of a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum plate, using a friend's milling machine, drill press, and belt sander. Depending on which triples you have (03-older, or 04-later), the shape and dimensions will be different. Mine is just held in place by a screw right now, but I'll have a welder TIG-weld it later in the winter.

If your bike is an 04-later, with the 4-screw windscreen attachment, standard barkbusters will not work. They'll smack into the windscreen and gauge cluster at full lock. I'm running a Renthal Jimmy Button bar with the Barkbusters F650 kit. I had to bend the barkbusters a little to match the bend of the bar, but they work, and don't hit the windscreen/gauge cluster.