View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
naveenroy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Day 4 - 25th Dec - 300 kms - Rameshwaram to Nagercoil

My original plan was to ride to Rameshwaram on this day. However, since I'd changed my plans and decided to visit my folks for Christmas, I decided to start off early in the morning from Rameshwaram to head to Nagercoil - my hometown.

I started off from Rameshwaram at around 6 in the morning. The roads are the usual East Coast Road - good roads - though 2 lanes. Not too much traffic.

I took one last look back at the Pamban bridge - I was back on the mainland

I'd looked at Google maps which suggested that I take a small village road from Rameshwaram and then I could reach the ECR road. Taking this road, it did take me through small sleepy villages. What an awesome scene - lovely rice fields and misty roads. Misty mountain hop :)

Sadly, I didn't take any pics. The lovely roads continued (single lane - just enough for a car) and passed through sleepy villages. Only problem - I seemed to lose my way a bit. Small kids would run out dreamy eyed to see this insane looking robot riding a bike.

But soon enough, I caught up the East Coast Road and continued until I made the mistake of taking a "short cut". The short cut took me around a bit and looking back, I should have just carried on in the ECR road. But nonetheless, it was nice riding in empty desolate roads. I finally caught up with a villager who was so astute in his knowledge of the roads. He gave me perfect directions and said it would be wise for me to join up the ECR, reach Tuticorin (which is called Thoothukudi now) and ride on from there to Tirunelveli.

Going by his directions, I reached Thoothukudi and asked for directions on how to reach the next section of road. Glad that I had some people with good knowledge of the roads to help me. I caught up to Tirunelveli in no time.

From there, it was just a short distance to my hometown. I'd let mom in on the secret and had asked her to have lunch for me too for Christmas day. I reached home around 12:30 in the afternoon - dad was shocked and happy to see me.

So it was a lazy Christmas lunch. Good to be with family on a holiday.

Customary shot of the Christmas tree at home

naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote