View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #1111
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 168
Mirage 2 - ORDERED

I am 6'2" using stock seat with airhawk. Inseam about 35".

I too have a journey of windscreens.

When I purchased my bike used it had the BMW OEM touring screen and the Cee Baily. Both were noisy and created "dirty air" for my non-Dual Sport helmets.

I experimented with a hole saw and assorted cutting instruments on the Cee Baily to try and create a smooth flow of air - no luck.

In between switching screens I went for a ride without any screen. That's when I discovered how nice clean air could be. Found a F658GS screen on the forum. Painted it flat-black and it became my screen. This works great in the heat, but come colder weather I was hoping there would be a solution for keeping the wind blast off my chest. I've been on many a hwy drone ride (75 MPH +) with the shorty and never found myself to be fatigued from the wind.

Found a Wunderlich Vario and Spoiler on the forum for sale. After experimenting over, and over (and over) with different configurations I still couldn't find a good pocket. If I slouched in the saddle it was okay. The Vario does flop around at all heights, especially with the spoiler on. When at RawHyde for an ADV weekend I removed the upper screen. A weak point on the Vario is its mounting system. I believe it puts extra stress on the fairing "L" mount. When I lost the front (low speed) in the mud the screen made contact and broke the fairing and cracked the upper portion of the screen. The unfortunate part of this is that it left the instrument cluster susceptible which ended up cracking at the screw mount.

After looking at the Mirage2 I think it offers many worthy points for the investment. From reviews it will be the screen solution for that quiet and protected pocket. The Mirage2 also should provide a safe haven for the $1000 instrument cluster (not including programming). Lastly, the Mirage2 offers a perfect mounting point for the GPS, especially while in the stand up position. Thank you insurance monies.

The Mirage2 is expected to arrive this week. I'll let you know if it "like gold".
03 TTR 225
89 Kat GSX600F
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote