View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #36
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Does your taillight have a two filiment fixture?
Yes.

Quote:
I agree with the super trapp. I have alternated back and forth in the past, but now my stock exhaust is permanently relegated to duty on the weight lifting bench where it belongs.
Well, lucky me! Mine came with a Supertrapp, and it's the only muffler I've got.

Quote:
Racks are very handy. I wish I had the fabricating skills to cutom build one out of exotic materials. I built one with a chainsaw mount out of common iron, it worked but it was kinda ugly too. I later took the easy way out and bought one that looks better.
I used to work mostly in regular carbon steel, but these days I do almost everything with stainless and aluminum. I hate rust, don't particularly love painting, and I do LOVE the shiny look of those metals.

Quote:
When I first looked at the picture, the wheels really stood out. I was wondering how you were going to accomplish that. Actually still am wondering. Looks like a lot of work with wheel lacing involved to me.
No... no lacing and unlacing. Just lots of careful masking with blue painters' tape. Somewhere buried in the main XL600 thread are some posts about someone else painting their rims using a similar method.

Quote:
A different fairing will change the look for sure. Again fabrication skills needed.
That is already done. See earlier posts in this thread.

Quote:
As far as engine color goes, I am one of those crazies that really likes the red engine. ( I know, there is one in every crowd)
You know, I used to love the red engine too. I really did! And to be honest, I still do... it's just that it doesn't work with this color scheme. I think on a red/white/blue bike with silver rims and suspension parts, the red engine looks awesome.

Quote:
I have pondered pipe wrapping too, but I am lazy and it would probably elicit even more psyche damaging ugliness comments from my wife.
Ha ha! Jury is still out on pipe wrapping... I understand it's good for performance.....

Quote:
Keep up the work and inspire us to do something too.
Thanks man. It's just my winter project. I love doing this kind of stuff.
www.christianristow.com

crobox screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 11:40 AM
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote