View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #12688
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,075
Dakar 2013, 10th Stage, Cordoba – La Rioja
636 km stage (398 miles) including 357 km special test

“Bang Bang” Barreda makes fourth win Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain in the Dakar.

Joan Barreda wins the tenth stage of the Dakar, from Cordoba-La Rioja with a special test of 357 km. With this, his fourth stage victory, the rider who hails from Castellon, Spain, becomes the most honoured rider so far in the competition.

Joan on his Husqvarna TE449RR by Speedbrain showed once again that not only did he have the speed but also the skill to dominate every type of terrain. Barreda, who started behind Despres this morning, eased his way through the course, catching up with Cyril Despres near the end of the special test.

Paulo Goncalves, took the podium in third 2:44 minutes behind Joan after having fought back from seventh position at this morning’s start-line.

Alessandro Botturi, was unlucky with his seventh place finish after spending most of the special up in third position, but a fall hampered his progress and he dropped down to seventh, finishing 8:05 minutes behind his winning team-mate. However, Alessandro remains in fifth overall place 24:25 minutes behind leader Despres in the overall leader-board.

Tomorrow sees the much feared La Rioja – Fiambalŕ stage with some 483 km special test and scorching temperatures expected.

Joan Barreda: "Today I’m really pleased with my fourth victory in this Dakar. I rode very well today, very cleanly and didn’t take any risks once the special got going".

Paulo Goncalves: "I was ready to attack right from the word go, but I had a lot of trouble trying to get past Ruben and Ivan. It was a great day nevertheless. It was a really enjoyable stage to ride, almost like an enduro course with all the different types of ground".

Alessandro Botturi: “I was in third place until halfway through the special, and I felt great, but then I hit a rock as I took a curve, lost my balance and fell. I hurt my pinky quite badly, I hope that it’s not broken".

Result Stage 10:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 4h43m14s
2. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:01:15
3. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:02:44
4. Pedrero (ESP, KTM) +00:04:27
5. Caselli (USA, KTM) +00:06:56
7. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:08:05
32. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:31:34

Overall after Stage 10:
1. Despres (FRA, KTM) 30h47m04s
2. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:01:37
3. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:13:41