Thread: BMW manual
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
... I just see it alot when someone asks a question, someone ALWAYS seems to chime in with "buy a manual" ...
Well, this is not quite fair to forum members.

I'd say that, yes, when asking for reference specs (like torque values), you will be often referred to manual - and why not. But there is always plenty of procedural help provided. If you ask how to do this or that, you will ALWAYS be offered advice, guidance, pictorials. If you post a particular problem, you will be flooded with diagnostic hints (even if some totally useless...).

Online forums - ADVrider in particular - are a great resource. People fall over each other in order to help out. A quick read of G-Spot topics is a testament to that. It's just that when someone posts a question like "What is the rear wheel bolt torque for my bike", some of us feel that this person did not make the effort to obtain even the most basic reference documentation, but instead is leaching off the info others purchased or collected.

You did good, of course, by getting the repair manual - so you are past that hurdle. Now nobody will tell you to go and get it...

By the way, you probably indeed do have the whole document. For reference, my 1150RT manual is a PDF file 61K in size. And yes, you cannot cut-and-copy text: it was created as an image document, not text - I assume to protect the intellectual property somewhat.

Best of luck with your bike and your big project! Robert.

rdwalker screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 07:27 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote