View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #282
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 285
Good Fix for Broken System Cases!

Not long after purchasing my Y2K 1150GS just about 3 years ago, I was enjoying one of my first dirt rides on the bike. After several attempts to "get air", some of which were moderately successful, I just happened to look in my right side mirror and noticed one of my poorly-loaded system cases rolling around in the dirt behind me.

Luckily I had a number of bungee cords with me, and after recovering the case I was able to reattach it well enough to gingerly ride home.

Upon inspection, I found the front "hanger" on the right side case was broken, nearly clean off. After finding out how much it would cost to replace the case ($$$), I decided a fix was in order. I had some stainless angle iron on hand, and my TIG machine with nothing better to do...

This is what a good "hangar" looks like:

This is the broken one, with my new stainless steel hangar:

As you can see, fits well. I trimmed the plastic so the hang height is darn close to correct:

Inside the case:

Stronger than the original, I'm sure. I also realized the rail on the same side was broken so I simply replaced that with a used unit, but I will soon post photos of my new stainless rails I'm currently working on.

I hope this idea helps some folks!

Cheers!

ElMartillo screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 11:50 PM
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote