View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #85
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowtrekkor View Post
My wife calls this my mid-life crisis, I told her the crisis is over referring to the last 22 years of raising 3 children--teenagers I am presently riding my Honda XL 600r, she got me back into riding, and looked enough like a dirtbike that my cautious wife was ok with it. Now she thinks a bigger bike would be more fun on our trips I like the looks of the GS's but I can only afford one with 60,000 on the dial. I looked at a vstrom 650, and was impressed. I could have a brand new one for a hundred bucks a month Is this a bike that can handle an adventure? I want a bike that is light enough to be nimble, but big enough to bolt on some jesse boxes and disappear for a month. Looking to hear the good, the bad , the ugly about it.
About the same here. Was riding a XRL650, wife thought it looked like a dirtbike. Couple years later she is riding too and we were looking for something we could ride comfortably for longer periods. I test rode a Triumph Tiger 800, loved it. It was a 2011 model, I asked them of they would try to call Triumph finance and get the bike approved for 0% financing, since by then it was almost a 2 year old bike. Nope, wouldn't even try, wouldn't even come down much in price. Then I test rode a 2012 V Strom Adventure. Read all the reports on extreme reliability, they were on 0% financing and the dealer matched what I thought was a very good internet price.

Really liking this bike.
BTW, you can find used ones cheap. When I sold The Honda XR650L I had enough to buy a Strom for the wife. Found her this low mileage 04.
Funny story, was riding the other day, cruising around doing errands, riding. Stopped in at a local bike shop to bs, guy come pulling in on a lowrider. Said he had seen me in town earlier. Bike shop owner comes out, thinks the saddle bags are ugly, but starts talking about the engine. Great motor blah blah. Then the Harley guy chimes in "I thought it was a BMW". I thought that was pretty freakin funny

deputygene screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 01:46 AM
deputygene is online now   Reply With Quote