Originally Posted by Stagehand
Dakar 2013, 11th Stage, La Rioja - Fiambalà
483 km stage (302 miles) including 221 km special test
Goncalves on the podium again for Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain
Paulo Goncalves took second place in the much-feared La Rioja to Fiambalà stage of the Dakar 2013. The Portuguese rider rode an error-free race on the TE449RR by Speedbrain which handled the job of the sandy terrain perfectly. Paulo thus moves up to eleventh place on the overall leader-board.
Alessandro Botturi too, put in a valiant effort struggling throughout the stage with a fractured pinky on his left-hand after yesterday’s fall. Alessandro consolidates his fifth overall position with three days to go, whittling away at the time of Jakes who finished five seconds behind the Italian rider.
Joan "Bang Bang" Barreda was less fortunate, finishing in sixth place. He battled on through the special test with a pain in the left shoulder, as well as an aching hand from a previous fall. Matt Fish, too made up ground coming in twenty-first.
The Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain thus rounds off another successful day with three out of the first seven riders, and a ninth podium place in eleven days of racing.
Tomorrow it’s back to Chile with the 715 km (447 mile) Fiambalà-Copiapò stage including a 319 km special and a difference in height of some 3000 metres as the stage takes on the Andes.
Paulo Goncalves: ”I rode a great race. I’m pleased for myself and for the whole team who really worked well together in this stage. I was really up for it today, and I’d love to be able to win a stage before it’s over! I’ll keep trying.”
Joan Barreda: “I hit a hole at high speed and felt an intense pain in my left shoulder. I had to slow the pace right down so that it wouldn’t get worse. My hand was playing up a lot too. I hope to feel better for the last three days.”
Alessandro Botturi: “My finger was really causing me a lot of pain. I thought that I wasn’t going to be able to make it, but I hung in there. I’m pleased with the way that it went today. The thing is still wide open.”
Result Stage 11:
1. Caselli (USA, KTM) 2h55m01s
2. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:04:45
3. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:06:24
4. Pedrero (ESP, KTM) +00:10:18
5. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:10:51
6. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:11:09
7. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:11:31
22. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:37:44
Overall after Stage 11:
1. Despres (FRA, KTM) 33h48m29s
2. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:13:16
3. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:18:08
4. Jakes (SVK, KTM) +00:23:33
5. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:29:32
11. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +01:28:18
23. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +03:21:47
90.+ Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +24:58:41