View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #47
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Wink Really? The OP as In Mud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrshire Bull View Post
cool post Rob - I've never seen these little lightweight rigs before - at first sight, I'd say it was an exceptionally efficient solution to the OP's original question.

First without the 'foot plate', which Rob did not get or use, in mud you could drive that square tube deep into the mud or sand; nor would it grip on ice. Just my take, but the engine guard tubing on my GSA is nothing I want to lift on. It is not stout. If you find yourself with the bike on its side like in Rob's photos [dirt], there are two techniques for you to left it upright with your legs [many thread show these]...even fully loaded [but of course you can strip gear and lighten the load]. If I can do it, anyone can. If you watch the manufacturer's video they lift the rear of a snowmobile [not the heavy end..] and then slid it [on the front skis] or topple it down slope. In mud or on ice this is something that could at minimum be tricky and possible damn dangerous. Lots of folks have had high lift jacks topple a load onto them or spit the jack at them.

For Rob or others this might work to stand the bike upright, rather than lifting it manually. To each their own.

I still come back to three circumstances you might find yourself in that could require baby-steps used with solid extraction hardware to get out of, if you could get out of them at all:

#1 Slippery footing that does not allow lifting the bike upright to re-start; this could be mud, snow/ice or a slimy stream bed [with water beating at you...]. Remember the rider must have good enough footing to lift the bike and the bike tires must be sufficiently anchored so that they do not slid away from the rider trying to lift the bike.

#2 Down a steep slope that cannot be ridden on [up, side hill or down] even if you can stand the bike upright.

#3 With a bike that is down on irregular terrain, such as a boulder, cobble field.

So what is the "ultimate" solution to getting the bike back on the road and to get the rider home? Wish I knew..

But I believe it involves good problem solving skills by the rider and a healthy dose of "MacGyver" to find innovative means to inch the bike back into service. So far as presented, in mud,sand,ice, on irregular ground or down a grade use of a double pulley or enhanced Z Drag rigging, lots of patience and clearing as best you can the path along which you are dragging the bike, makes the most sense to me. This assumes enough line/rope to reach a suitable anchor. I know I can't drag my bike without a mechanical device and enough mechanical advantage to reduce the force needed to use the device and still move my bike. A simple Come Along does not provide enough of a mechanical advantage for me to drag my GSA on soft ground; let alone up a grade.

Ultimately you may not be able to put the bike into a place where you can ride it out..."shanks mare" time, you walk out. If you ride alone that must always be in your options to get home. Calling AAA is not an option.

Ain't no easy answers here, but hey it is "adventure" riding!

Ps...I enjoy the discussion and fresh ideas being posted in this thread.

PPs..I am still mulling the suggestion of carrying a light weight piece of plastic [thin board?] that could be placed under the bike to reduce the friction during a drag...Hmmmm. Kinda like when I placed logs, perpendicular under my fully loaded sea kayak to pull it up step beaches...less friction and a crude set of wheels and no hull damage. Hmmm. Now if I could lash logs to sides of my downed bike and then place other logs perpendicular......

Wallowa screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 02:35 PM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote