View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #1048
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
It's dangerous because it creates a false sense of security, yes, a bit like ABS. As pointed out above, there can be black ice at temperatures too warm to make the idiot light flash. Therefor, if you're relying on a flashing light to tell you when there could be ice, it's dangerous. ABS has the same effect. People use it as a replacement for learning how to brake properly, and I promise you if you grab a handful of brake in a corner, you're going to hit the ground whether you've got ABS or not.

I've been riding motorcycles for the last 30 years, and this is the first bike I've owned with either ABS or an "ice warning" light. I've never needed either before, and I don't need it now. Learn to ride... I mean really learn to ride, and neither of those safety crutches will ever matter.

Also, there's a fascinating phenomenon called "risk compensation" (look it up) that basically shows that as you improve perceived safety, people take greater risks. ABS and traction control are perfect examples. People don't think they need to be as careful (or learn a necessary skill) because these features will somehow magically save them. So because of that, they ride above their (or the bike's) ability and end up crashing anyway.

I take this seriously because lawmakers think like you do. And eventually when they realize that all the safety features in the world can't keep you from killing yourself, they'll just outlaw motorcycles.

The older than you proof. Hate to tell you this but I am 70. My first bike was a 1968 Aeromacchi 250 and I have been riding ever since. I don't have ABS on my bike.

I don't know of any law that requires the bike manufacturers to put ice warning lights on a vehicle. The fact BMW has one, has nothing to do with the government.

I do get a kick out of some posters, who announce how many times ABS has saved their bacon. My thought is they are doing it wrong, as I have been riding 44 years with only 2 going too fast for my skill level crashes.

You want to be serious about bike safety? quit worrying about "ice lights" and go talk to your legislature about Helmets, mandatory training and staged licensing, because that is the only way you can be sure they get it. It probably would have prevented the 2 accidents I had.

But that would involve the Government, which I am sure you are against and your right to do things that might kill you.

Lets get back to other stupid questions

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 04:48 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote