View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
Hi there
Every time i come here looking for advice i find it. So here goes :)

I'm looking for some advice and maybe even a friendly place to stay on our 2 person trip to France.
We're starting in Belgium and i'd like to end up in the spanish Pyrenees before heading back.

Since we will not be doing any highway miles, i'm trying to figure out the most enjoyable roads from the north part of France to the South.

I was thinking along the lines of normandy, nantes, bordeaux.
If we have enough time and my partner in crime is up for it, we'll be riding through the Pyrenees from west to east and even try to squeeze in some french alps. But that's looking a bit optimistic for the moment.

If any locals have any advice on how to go about crossing France, feel free to shoot. I'd hate to miss anything along this road. The same goes for the Pyrenees by the way :)

I'll be posting a google map of the road we'll be taking once it's clear to me how we'll go about it.

Thanks!
T
Personally, I find the north of France west of a north-south line from Charleville to Auxerre to be rather boring, being mostly agricultural and fairly densely populated. Normandy and Brittany do have some positives, the Atlantic Coastal areas mostly, but if you're heading south as a destination they're out of the way. Nantes to Bordeaux has minimal interest for riding. My recommendation is to head for Auxerre and then dip into the Regional Park of the Morvan and then into the Massif Central, which has pristine scenery and it's lightly populated. If the Pyrennees is your destination you can just continue south via Mende and Castres to Carcassonne. The best east-west roads in the Pyrenees are the N260 on the Spanish side and the 618/918 to the Atlantic on the French side.