View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Personally, I find the north of France west of a north-south line from Charleville to Auxerre to be rather boring, being mostly agricultural and fairly densely populated. Normandy and Brittany do have some positives, the Atlantic Coastal areas mostly, but if you're heading south as a destination they're out of the way. Nantes to Bordeaux has minimal interest for riding. My recommendation is to head for Auxerre and then dip into the Regional Park of the Morvan and then into the Massif Central, which has pristine scenery and it's lightly populated. If the Pyrennees is your destination you can just continue south via Mende and Castres to Carcassonne. The best east-west roads in the Pyrenees are the N260 on the Spanish side and the 618/918 to the Atlantic on the French side.
Thanks for sharing your experience on the subject.

So what your saying is; don't do this:

But do this

That's auxerre, morvan, mendre, castres, carcassonne.
We could snif the pyrenees and pay andorra a visit. We'll probably have time to cover the Pyrenees from coast to coast. But i don't know if it's worth it?

I assumed going east around paris would automatically be a lot more miles. Seems this was a false assumption.
Couple of years ago i rode up from Nice to Nancy and back home. Maybe we could take that way back.

Someone had pointed out to me that we'd best avoid the coastline from Marseille to Nice. Does the same apply to the coastline to the west of Marseille?
tommyvdv is online now   Reply With Quote