View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So what would it take? Adding elements to driver's ed? A massive PSA campaign? Why hasn't the AMA ever tackled this issue in force? Isn't the AMA supposed to speak for motorcyclists? I'd join if they were making a bold effort to allow lane splitting everywhere. A lot of people complaining about it -- but is anyone actively trying to change it?
My 2 (Euro) Centimes:
You need a trial in one area to pilot it. Fight to only get the accident stats considered after at the earliest, the first year. IE once car drivers are used to it and once the motorcyclists themselves have started to learn where the limits are in this particular aspect of motorcycling. If it's only a month's trial, you'll get a massive spike in accidents, the car drivers will bitch about how bikes are coming out of nowhere and flying by at 100mph and the naysayers will smugly gloat, "this is why it's banned, you're playing with people's lives here, repeal this lunacy".

Motorcyclists need to start doing it regularly, in large numbers; the single biggest thing to train car drivers to it (which is the main thing) is to get used "being filtered past". No one is going to flash their lights or get into a fight at the lights when 100 motorcyclists come past them on their commute. If it's just one lone rider, the psychos will take umbrage at your refusal to waste your life sat in traffic, irrespective of what the law may say on the matter.

The police need to loosen up about what they prosecute you for. By all means keep the traffic laws (other than filtering itself) the same, but turn a blind eye to things like bikes riding over 'no passing' lines in order to filter more safely, provided they are doing so in a way that doesn't harm anyone else.

If enough people start filtering, the journey times come down. Motorcycling as a serious form of transport, as opposed to a recreation, gains recognition. More people commute by bike, rather than just ride at the weekend and accordingly, the average standard of riders' abilities increase. Congestion is eased, not only for those filtering, but for the cagers who are now sharing the road with few cars and parking is no longer quite such a ball-ache, as several bikes can park in one bay. It will also get new blood into motorcycling; plenty of people learn to ride for purely practical reasons of cheap and fast commuting in big cities in Europe, only to find they get bitten by the biking bug and start riding for fun. The 'serious' use of bikes mean that the public perception of us as thrill seeking maniacs and Hell's Angels declines, which benefits us all. Even the thrill seeking maniacs and Hell's Angels.