View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
The rear hub from my R100R is similarly shot, probably from maladjustment. It is worn with a curve dug into the center of the drum face. I'd love to find a solution for that, also. We have a local machine shop that does some very trick stuff, so maybe I'll ask them one day.

At least for that bike I can still buy a new hub, but it's not cheap.
not cheap is an understatement on top of extremely hard to find!

it's worth noting that original BMW brake shoe material can get extremely hard. either from age and/or very hard to begin with. while it's normal for brake drums to wear a little. most of the wear needs to come from brake shoe materials.

assuming your drum is still within tolerances... to save what left of your G/S drum. take your drum and old shoes to a local brake/clutch repair shop. find one that will custom fit shoe to drum. if there's wear on drum, thickness for shoes needs to be slightly thicker. reason is max braking occurs at beginning of brake rod travel. when brake cam is in optimal position.

new shoe material will be much softer than OEM. much rather brake shoe wear vs drum. had no clue just how hard shoe material had become. until I tore into my G/S drum to track down why my rear brakes were so underpowered. getting brake shoes relined with slightly thicker/softer brake shoe lining fixed problems of excessive drum wear and lack of braking power.

_cy_ screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 07:18 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote