View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #463
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Robby said it yesterday, he needs the other cars to get used up and he would still have a chance for the win. If the two cancelled stages had been "raced" we'd have a completely different Dakar right now. Peterhansel agreed in his interview yesterday, the fewer race miles he puts on his car the better his odds are of winning.

There is no reason they couldn't have held everybody at WP4 yesterday for 3 or 4 hours while the water receded as it always does. As it was they were in camp by noon, I want to see the race run and teams dragging in at midnight expected to be at the next start by 5 am. Like Robby said, this "race" is supposed to be difficult and this isn't.
The fact is that RG has lost time to the leaders on every stage. deVillers had passed RG yesterday and got screwed because of the cancellation of the stage. SPH has almost an hour lead and there is no reason from him to take chances and throw the race away. Even if he had a problem. he still has "water carriers" on the mini team that would pretty much prevent losing enough time for RG to get ahead. You don't win The Dakar waiting for your competition to DNF.

"I would be leading if I could get my 5 hours back"
"I could win if those 18 cars ahead of me broke"

Really???? WTF????