View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_unaventurous View Post
Greetings knowers of more than me!
My R80G/S has a totally worn out rear hub, brakes dragging or being ridden on I suspect. Anyway , gotta do something about it for rego. The great guys at BM Ringwood talk of machining out the hub and pressing in a sleeve internal diameter ( when surfaced down) same as a stocky. They are pretty straight guys , but I'm just checking what else is out there? Must have happened to other 31 year old bikes I guess

Anyone hear about this or have any knowledge of any other way, or indeed (ha ha ha ) have a second hand 3 bolt hub for sale?

Andy

Hi Andy,,,say HI to Chris for me...great guy and took care of my G/S when I stored it at his shop a long time ago. Any chance you've seen a white G/S, Harrison brake, panniers that used to belong to a yank a while back ;-).

I've got 2 hubs at a shop in the US midwest who will grind the surface smooth and "spray" a metal coating layer by layer to build up the surface back to stock. Then the brake shoes and surface will be cut to fit. Expensive but a lot less than a new wheel or hub.

The other short term option would be to have the ridge ground down to the current level and have a GOOD brake shop custom fit a softer, thicker brake lining to the shoe to take up the gap. Standard procedure for the bigger brake shops.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote