Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Geografo
Lost Armadillo in Heat

Oddometer: 151
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan0708 View Post
Haha guess what!
Brazil already has assembly plants for most of motorcycle brands.
Bmw, ducati, triumph, mv agusta, honda, suzuki, yamaha, harley davidson, sym and so on...
Premium models such as bmw' 1200 and ducati's super bikes are still 100% imported but many of other bikes and even cars are ressembled here. But the price is still crazy.
Yes, I wondered about that. The prices on manufactured products are insane down there. They must still charge the import taxes on the parts, then? I would have thought that putting assembly plants in Brazil would have been a way around the high import taxes. However, I guess that is the main way that they get the funds to support the government down there, according to my wife and other Brazilians I have spoken with while down there. I know a lot of people who buy things abroad and then sneak them in the country to get around those high import taxes...

Everything is high in Porto Velho, though, since there are no large cities nearby and everything except for tropical products has to be transported long distances to get there, kind of like Alaska or Hawaii. With construction of the large hydroelectric plants, prices even for locally produced products have skyrocketed over the past several years.

Current Rides: 2007 R1200 GS

Past Rides:

1972 Yamaha 60 Mini-Enduro
1971 Yamaha 125 Enduro
1974 Suzuki GT 750 "Water Buffalo"--like a true water buffalo, big and heavy, but deceptively fast
2006 Harley-Davidson XL 883 (traded-in on Corolla...)
Geografo is offline   Reply With Quote