View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience on the subject.

That's auxerre, morvan, mendre, castres, carcassonne.
We could snif the pyrenees and pay andorra a visit. We'll probably have time to cover the Pyrenees from coast to coast. But i don't know if it's worth it?

I assumed going east around paris would automatically be a lot more miles. Seems this was a false assumption.
Couple of years ago i rode up from Nice to Nancy and back home. Maybe we could take that way back.

Someone had pointed out to me that we'd best avoid the coastline from Marseille to Nice. Does the same apply to the coastline to the west of Marseille?
The Pyrenees may be the step-child of the Alps so far as notoriety but they really do have a lot to offer. The roads I mentioned are very nice. Curiously, the southern side in Spain seemed to me to be much drier, weather patterns I suppose, while the French side tends to be greener.

I first visited the Cote d'Azur in the '70s and it was wonderfully different from Southern California. . Nice was, well, nice, my GF and I stretched out naked on the beach at Antibes and no one minded. Alas, between population explosion and the Russian mafia buying up half of it, for me its lost most of its luster. There is still some fabulous scenery in Les Calanques east along the coast from Marseille but the town itself is a disgrace. West of Marseille is a lot of industrial operations, but the Camargue a bit more westerly is worth a slow ride for the flamingos, semi-wild white horses and true gypsy atmosphere. Since you mentioned Nice-Nancy, do you know about La Route Des Grandes Alpes? http://www.grande-traversee-alpes.co...-grandes-alpes It's hard work but OMG what fabulous riding. I took three days to do it, which is a respectable amount of time. I think I just pumped myself for another shot at it.