View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #430
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Thanks dirtysouth and tampajim.

I've had other clear screens on motorcycles that didn't have glowing edges at night...I think it's that the Madstad sticks out far enough forward to pick up light off the headlight. Also, other clear screens I've had look like they were molded into their shape. The Madstatd looks like it was cut to shape from a curved piece of plexiglass, so the edge is different than if it were molded.

I can't see painting the screen...since it's a large screen, there are times when I need to look through it, and painting it would not work at all. I'll do some testing with electrical tape to see what I need to black out, then either paint just the edge or find something to cover that lower leading edge.
Typical absorbtion and reflection properties. More prominent becaue the screen is likely coated so it performs like the cladding of fiber optics. The edges will pick up light from other sources besides your headlights as well. Best to do the whole perimeter of the screen.

As for painting screens, I like to do mine for this reason and cutting down glare from the guages bouncing off the screen and from the sun bouncing off the guages. The Guzzi was the most reflective of any bike I had. It was like heads-up display but upside down, so I had 2 light sources pulling my eyes in different directions. It became very tiring. The Krylon works real well. I use the Krylon matte on the inside as a 1st coat so it sticks, then a heavier flat to diffuse the light even more. No more painful eyestrain.