View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #103
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
Colombia first few days

My first day of riding didn't start until after noon due to getting the bike processed. Just wanted to get out of Bogota b/c I will be coming back and I wanted to start to see the Colombian country side.

Didn't really take any pics on the ride. Was just getting away from traffic. Here is Tunja where I spent my first night of riding in Colombia. A nice town and the right size for me. Not too big or small.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Then in the morning on my insurance mission I saw this!!!

Policia everywhere!!! Too many for my comfort level. Some cop convention going here!!! Time to get out of Dodge, well Tunja. Most insurance places want to sell you insurance for a year. For my bike(based off cc) it is over $200 US. No way. Just when I am about to give up after 4 insurance offices, a guy offers to walk me around. He is an insurance guy and he cant do less than a year but is convinced someone will. 2 more offices later and 3 months for less than $50

I am leagal and off to Giron.

I have ofund it hard to take pics in Colombia b/c the roads are crazy and so are the drivers! Also Colombia is vast and hard to capture in a photo. Last excuse is that there has been a haze off in the distance over the mountains so the pics have no detail.

But I did get a few

There is a town down there. Amazing landscape!

The ride down from these mountains was amazing! Switchbacks stacked on top of each other and crazy views. I didn't get as many pics as pics as I would like b/c I wanted to be sure to be to Giron before dark.

Giron Plaza at night.

From my hotel

After 2 days of late starts because of shipping and insurance, looking to get on it tomorrow and put down some miles!!
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote