View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Which way did he go? 1/17/13

I picked a hell of a day to leave. It’s been sprinkling for the last few days in Charlotte, NC and my expectation was that it would continue to do so today, I expected nothing more than a light rain.

My single day plan was to head southeast towards the coast of South Carolina and the Francis Marion National Forest for some camping with my brand spanking new camping gear. I stopped at REI and picked up a tent and footprint, sleeping bag, compression sack, and a MSR Whisperlite Universal camp stove. I hadn’t camped since I was about 12 years old with the exception of a week in the woods for basic training. My time in the Army was 19 years ago so I didn’t really expect to remember anything I learned there.

Much to my chagrin, Mother Nature had a different plan. I rode for a few hours in the pouring rain until my waterproof gloves and Frog Togs finally gave up the fight. With soaked gloves and a chilly finger of water creeping its way to places really uncomfortable, I reluctantly pulled into a Days Inn in Florence, SC. I really wanted to camp, but doing it in the early dark and pouring rain didn’t seem like a good choice.

View Larger Map

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 06:57 AM
NoMoIke is offline   Reply With Quote