Thread: Manti - Wow
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Here's an AP article from today. With Manti Te'o silent, question about hoax remain

Quote:
Te'o's agent, Tom Condon, said the athlete had no plans to make any public statements in Bradenton, Fla., where he has been training with other NFL hopefuls at the IMG Academy.

Notre Dame said Te'o found out that Kekua was not a real person through a phone call he received at an awards ceremony in Orlando, Fla., on Dec. 6. He told Notre Dame coaches about the situation on Dec. 26.

The AP's media review turned up two instances during that gap when the football star mentioned Kekua in public.

Te'o was in New York for the Heisman presentation on Dec. 8 and, during an interview before the ceremony that ran on the WSBT.com, the website for a South Bend TV station, Te'o said: "I mean, I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer. So I've really tried to go to children's hospitals and see, you know, children.''

In a column that first ran in The Los Angeles Times, on Dec. 10, Te'o recounted why he played a few days after he found out Kekua died in September, and the day she was supposedly buried.
"She made me promise, when it happened, that I would stay and play,'' he said on Dec. 9 while attending a ceremony in Newport Beach, Calif., for the Lott Impact Awards.

On Wednesday, when Deadspin.com broke the story, Swarbrick said Notre Dame did not go public with its findings sooner because it expected the Te'o family to come forward first.
So Manti told Notre Dame (on the 26th) he found out she wasn't real on Dec 6th but still went on talking about his dead girlfriend after that. ???? Maybe I'm too cynical. Maybe he was 100% fooled by someone's VERY elaborate hoax. Maybe it's a little of both but I'm pretty convinced he wasn't telling the truth for at least some of the time.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote