View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #552
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Possibly...? I'm not sure... at a quick guesstimate I would think that Mark has more top 5 stage placings than Robby... the stats will show what approach gives the best results/podiums of the two...?

So to round off/bow out, maybe I will just put up the notion that there are two schools of thought or approaches in the (global) world of offroad racing... the traditional euro "Dakar" cross country rally school of thought... and the old school USofA "SCORE/Baja" offroad racing school of thought...

The former is full of politics, tactics, semantics intrigue and carefully laid strategies... the latter is full of high tech "go hard or go home" foot to the firewall racing (which I love as well... don't get me wrong). Both have pro's both have con's, both have their place in the world.

Miller seems to have understood an embraced the "euro" train of thought and meets them at their own game... Robby seems hell bent on taking the US approach and meeting them head on with it.

How successful each has been with their respective Dakar careers is for them (and perhaps their respective fans) to decide for themselves...

I'll just leave you with this... there is more than one way to skin a cat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have to admit I totally lean towards the traditional as I started trying to follow back when Danny LaPorte was racing it. I say trying to follow as it was pretty much reading what happened several days after the fact.

In another couple of days it looks like we will be able to say: Robby Gordon tried for years to win the Dakar and was never able to do it.