View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
playa renaca, chile to villa alemana, chile (dakar search)

i lied. i was all set and ready to go this morning, heading to mendoza, argentina and got held up trying to reprogram my bikes computer to metric/kilometers instead of english/miles. i went back into the room for a pit stop, and bear had found out that there was a Dakar spectator zone right on my route to mendoza between the cities of villa alemana and limache. previously, i thought i'd have to trek way north to catch it, so now i'm back on the dakar path.

we spent the day scoping out the areas that it is traveling through. there are supposed to be 10,000 spectators spread over the course for the day. the dakar "mass" basically rolls in and out of small towns, draining them of resources: water, gas, food, lodging. so we are prepped with food, water, spare fuel and posting to the adv motorcycle forums to find the coordinates of the spectator zones. the racers are supposed to be blasting through early in the morning tomorrow around 7 or 8am.

we basically made a big hundred mile loop and wound up in vina del mar at a new hostel, hungry for internet connections to figure out where to go and what to do. earlier today, we were at a hiper lider (south american name for super walmart) looking for internet, and while i was in checking on that, some guy came up to bear and told him that he and 30 other bikers would meet us back there tomorrow morning to lead us out to the spectator zone. that works too!

today was frustrating for us both, driving in a big circle, ending up back at the beach where we've already been. but it yielded that rider connection, so if they show up, we are set. i'm still posting to forums for the actual coordinates as a backup.

i'll probably watch the races until noon, then take off for the portilla hotel that i was supposed to arrive at tonight. one day burned to see the dakar rally: worth it.

beach club, playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

sunset over playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

sunset over playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

morning prep under piero's hotel, playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

brazilian bikers at piero's hotel, playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

another day of hostal parking, vina del mar, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote