View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #3390
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 534
Question Prepairing for the swap

I've been thinking about this swap for a while, I recently found a pair of '01 YZ 250 R forks and axle for a nice price on eBay and decided to start the gathering.

I get a lot of use out of the GS as my commuter and I'd really like to keep the ABS so I'm looking into options to use the stock wheels: except for Hawk engineering what other options are there? I think I did my homework and from what I've found in this thread it seems like people either get the kit or dump the ABS and use a 21" YZ or WR wheel. Just to clarify, I'm not here to put down the work by the guys at Hawk, but I like to experiment and try doing things differently.

Right now my main issue is the bearings: the GS has a 17mm axle and 17x40x12 (6203-2RS) bearings. The YZ has a 20mm axle, and the closest fit I've found to that is 20x42x12 (6004-2RS). Can the GS' wheel hubs be bored out from 40mm to 42mm to accept the larger bearings? Would this be a safety concern (not enough material on the hub leading to cracking)? I looked for 20x40x?? bearings, but they seem to be more rare than hen's teeth...

I found the front caliper and bracket from a WR250X and the disk rotor has the same diameter as the GS so that would be a perfect fit if I could get the wheel on...

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote