View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
huzar OP
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,964
Bluhduh Wednesday, January 16, 2013 Abancay to Cusco

We go out for breakfast to a little street food place, where I think I did myself in. About an hour after the meal, my stomach lets me know that something ain’t right. Ugh. We load up the bikes, and head out to the main road to get gas on the way out of town. After filling up, the KLR again refuses to start. Fortunately, there is a steep hill nearby where I can push start myself.

We climb up and out of Abancay, going over another pass at a little over twelve thousand feet. We get rained on as we ascend the western side, but as we drop down the eastern slopes the rain goes away. We drop down to the Rio Apurimac and follow that for a while. The river has washed out sections of the road here, which have been filled with dirt but not yet paved. Compared to the last couple of days, traffic is relatively heavy, with lots of buses and trucks belching black soot. We climb up to Cusco, but the road is pretty uninspiring. We pass through town after town, the road is straight and boring and crowded.

Lots of civilization everywhere today:

IMG_2374 by Marcin Porwit, on Flickr

The road started out nice:

IMG_2376 by Marcin Porwit, on Flickr

Is it bad that after three days, this type of view no longer takes my breath away?

IMG_2377 by Marcin Porwit, on Flickr

A tributary of the Rio Apurimac:

IMG_2378 by Marcin Porwit, on Flickr

When we finally reach Cusco, we get a room at the Hostel Santa Maria, right off the Plaza de Armas. Unfortunately for me, I start coming down with something, as I have a fever and am shaking, not to mention the GI issues are not getting any better. I try to keep Hewby company, but am miserable and go back to the hotel and climb into bed. Sleep is fitful, as I get up about every hour. I pop a cipro and hope that tomorrow will be a better day.

The Cathedral on the Plaza de Armas:

IMG_2380 by Marcin Porwit, on Flickr

Opposed by a statue to Huayna Capac:

IMG_2381 by Marcin Porwit, on Flickr

huzar screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 04:33 PM
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote