Originally Posted by chapramsey
I am new to the forum, and new to ATM bikes. I am a dual-sport rider, I have 2 BMW R100GSes and a KLR 650.
I have just ridden a 2008 990 Adventure that is for sale, used....6,600 miles, no damage noted...with Happy-Trails bags on it. Asking is $9,900. (from a dealer)
I know very little about KTMs, but really enjoyed my ride on this bike. It was fast, easy to handle, etc.
1) I know nothing of the used bike market, any idea if this is a good price?
2) reliability....knowing nothing of the KTM brand, are they reliable?
3) are there any significant changes since '08 that I would want to know about? ie gas tank size, engine, stuff, etc...?
Thanks in advance for your help.
1) Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) has it listed at $8,695 for my zip code. For that price it better come with some add ons. ESPECIALLY with the new 1190 Adventure coming out. I think I paid $12,000 for mine new.
2) Yes. If you don't abuse them they're a fantastic bike.
3) No, not really. The newer R model is supposed to be faster blah blah blah but in the end it's the same engine, the same frame, just different graphics and a different dash. Nothing major to my knowledge.
From the dealer I, personally, wouldn't pay over $9,000. The bags may be good but they're not $1300 good. That's more than I paid for my brand new Jesse bags, and Gobi bags new aren't over $1000.