View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #55983
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I'll take my textile jacket over my pressure suit on the street any day of the week. The pressure suit has good armor, but all the spots in between are just mesh. My Alpinestars jacket has armor and padding in all the same spots as my Fox pressure suit, but then it also has a nice thick layer of abrasion resistant material over the whole thing. I can think of a lot of places on my upper body that would be ground off in a street crash with the pressure suit.

It's better than nothing, but I think a good textile jacket is the best option for street riding. A pressure suit is a good compromise, but I am almost thinking of replacing mine with a regular chest protector this summer just because they are so damn hot on slow moving trails.
The mesh is why I won't recommend off road armor for on road. I've torn some brands flexing or simply by putting it on. Now imagine asphalt sanding your armor off and pulling it away with friction. Not pretty. It wasn't designed for it either. Might work well enough for it though, but that's up to you to decide.

In all honesty, I should be in full leathers on the busa. Problem is,leather is just way too hot for me. I have a Joe rocket Phoenix for a jacket. It's good for all but the hottest days when moving slow.

Gear in general is a touchy subject like oil and tires. Use what works for you or what you need.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote