View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Are HIDs killing my bike

So this past fall, I did a 300 mile trip to Wyoming/Idaho. It has been the first long distance trip with my bike since installing the lights from 1 Off Motorsports.

I was running my Hi and Low beam HIDs, heated grips, heated vest and my GPS - Garmin 60CSX. The trip was from SLC - Driggs, ID. About 297 miles into the 300 mile trip, the ABS light turned on. I found this odd, but I was so close to my destination that I kept on riding.

At mile 299.75 my dash lights cut out at the last stop sign before the end stop. I made the mistake of turning off the bike and it wouldnt restart. I ended up pushing the bike the last quarter mile up a hill(which really sucked).

I got the bike on a charger the next day and it sounded weak, but ran. I turned off all the accessories and ran just the low-beam and kept RPMs in the 4000+ range. The bike died later that day in Yellowstone and I had to get it jumped. I ran the trip back without turning off the bike and got it home. I have since installed a voltmeter, but didnt have much time to watch it as winter rolled in.

Thinking ahead to spring now, does it sound like the lights + accessories are drawing too much juice? Is the battery just toast? Its the stock battery that will be turning 3 soon.

I did 2 months on the road and had no issues a year prior. The only thing I changed are the lights. I dont want the bike to die on me again as it was extremely inconvenient.

Also, with the voltmeter installed, what good/bad numbers should I be looking out for?

I tried searching, but without success.

Any help would be great.

Oh and one last question, is it possible to bump start an 800gs?

Thanks, Jon

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote