View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Its Quitting Time! The SW and Baja with 2 best friends

So I apologize for the tardiness of this RR, but at least I am getting around to it.
A little background on myself and some of the other riders going....We are three best friends that met early on in College. None of us had any riding experience until a few years after college. I bought my first KLR when I was 25 and have since moved up to the love of my life, the 800GS. My buddy in Virginia bought his bike a year later perhaps and the third buddy bought an 800GS drunk off Ebay one night.
Post college, I moved back to the town I grew up in just north of Chicago. It was a fun time while it lasted, but I always knew it was destined to be short-lived. There is a great big world out there and I needed to explore it. Motorcycles helped facilitate my addiction, so in the fall of 2011, I decided enough was enough. It was quitting time!
My friend and I in Chicago quit our jobs eager to hit the road. My other friend is a paramedic who got a month of time off from work to go play.
I will spare a lot of the pre-trip arrangements, but it involved some hefty spending and lots of loc-tite. Anyways, we were ready to hit the road in early September. The plan was to trailer the bikes to Salt Lake City, which is where my dad and most of my family lives. This would be our home base/launch site.
Some pre-trip work:
Loc-titing and double checking the bikes

Gear prep:

Trailer all loaded up:

Pickup Truck all loaded:

*Note the DRZ on the trailer. That is my second bike and since I had no plans to come back to Chicago, she was coming along too!
We left 48 hours after my last day on the job and the excitement was palpable!
There were a lot of miles to cross before the bike portion of the trip.
Buddys mom's house in Fort Dodge Iowa

Random Sketchy hotel outside Fort Collins

The miles ticked by and with each minute, the realization of a dream trip was coming closer to being reality. Only by the good graces of White Fang on audio book were we able to finish the mind numbing cage drive to Utah. It was a little nerve-wracking to see snow so early in Colorado, but we knew warm beaches were calling out our names.
Some Colorado Scenery

Steamboat springs...I think

Me

BrunoUtah

I peed through his gate just to say I whizzed on a Governors homestead

Dads condo in SLC

Upon arriving, all we had to do was wait for the last buddy to fly in and hit the road. That and assure my family they would see me again....some time...and alive.
We didnt have much of a plan other than to make it to Cabo San Lucas so we were free to be creative. My brother was also hitchhiking through mainland Mexico, so I had high hopes of seeing him down south.
Departure Day

In times past, we have always taken the most direct route when headed down to southern Utah. But that was in cars...when we were poor...and had limited time. This time I found the curviest road with the highest passes on the way down.
Taking an early pit stop and reassuring ourselves this was really happening

Some high Utah passes

Pictured on the KLR is NovaManDan...I think

The first stop was decided to be in the San Rafael outside of Price, Utah. It is a place we have been before and know how beautiful it is. We had a great day of hiking and swimming in the river. Unfortunately, I left my brand new Canon camera in a backpack the ended up getting submerged in a short river crossing. This was almost the RR that wasnt to be, but I fixed this dilemma a little later down the road.
The Swell

Petroglyphs

The 3 amigos + 1 brother who was leaving us in a day or two

1st nights camp site

Next stop was decided to be Goblin Valley in Utah. We had a plan to camp and hike a slot canyon at night, which also turned out to be a full moon night. This was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. The canyon was so well illuminated by the moon, headlamps were hardly needed. We brought backpacks full of wine and it only took some 5 hours to do a little 5 mile hike.
**To Be Continued. I was just told I need to be in to work at 530am tomorrow. Ah How I miss the care-free days of Baja.
Stay Tuned!

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/

JJJZJ screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:29 PM
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote