View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #35
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
i thought this was toatl BS myself but after talking tot he KTM mech, he said it was true and does work. the catch is you have to disconnect the battery and leave the system "dead" without any power for 15 minutes prior to the reset. so the whole process from start to finish is going to take at least 30 minutes.

laramie
sorry, but this is not true. as it is not true that you need to do a ECU reset before the initial idle run. whatever people say who know ktm and ktm mechs and have access to blahblahblah...or are you going to tell me a dead battery resets your ECU. come on...

cold engine
bike upright
enuff fuel
start it without touching the throttle
look at your stop watch and turn engine off using ignition key after 15 minutes +59 seconds/ -0 seconds
done
if engine dies during initial run, just restart but dont touch throttle and proceed till 15 minutes are reached.

if you have electronic or semi-electronic throttle (some 690 SMC, SMC R and other 690ies) turn ignition on, roll throttle open, close throttle (dont let it snap back), turn ignition off.
done

the whole procedure was available to public from KTM west in Germany as pdf but only in German but has been removed from website.

doing the initial run in cool temperatures has improved fuel consumption on some bikes, but KTM west did not state why.

cheers
steve

here is the german version for LC8 from KTM Sommer (now KTM west) http://www.produkte24.com/cy/ktm-som...278-gross.html

Steveman screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:08 AM Reason: adding link
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote