View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #145
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Hey Fellas,

More help needed. My desire to light the entire bike with LED's is so I can take advantage of my heated vest/gloves on cold days. I want to reduce the watt usage as much possible; so my plan was to install the DDM headlight kit (new, correct bulb on the way), LED taillight bulb which is working perfectly, and then replacing all the standard bulbs in the turn signals with LED's as well.

I bought and installed replacement LED bulbs for the original turn signal stalks, and also bought an LED specific flasher relay which I also installed to correct the blink rate on the LED turn signals. Here is the relay I bought and installed, as well as the LED bulbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221168990542...84.m1439.l2649

http://www.customled.com/products/fl...youtRegion1LYR

Well, upon installing the LED's in the turn signals, and the the LED flasher relay; my DR650 is basically giving me the bird...!

Upon turning the ignition ON and attempting to activate the turn signals in either direction, both the REAR signals simply light up and stay continuously on. No flashing. Then I tried removing the bulb from the idiot light cluster next to the speedo, and things got just a tad better. With the indicator bulb removed, the rear lights will flash in the desired direction, but ONLY the rear turn signals work.

I am a pretty good mechanic, but electrical stuff is like a black art to me. I understand electrical stuff about as well as I understand Chinese writing.

Help appreciated...!
Unless you're also using your signals as marker lights, converting them to LED won't save you much wattage.

Your biggest savings will be from the LED tail/brake bulb, converting the license bulb to LED, converting to a 35W HID headlight, and converting your dash bulbs to LED.

If you want to also make your DR more visible, you can convert your signals to dual-circuit LED signals. I found some on Ebay that look like stock DR signals. Front signals from many Yamahas are dual-filament. Wire the 2nd (dim) circuit into the tail circuit, and they become marker lights. Red markers are used in the rear, and amber markers are used on the front. Clear lenses with colored LEDs can accomplish this.

I used stock-looking amber signals all-around, but wired in some red LED marker strips on each side of my rear fender. My front signals are dual-filament models that look stock, with BRIGHT LED reflector bulbs in them. My rear signals are bone-stock, but I still replaced my stock flasher unit with an LED-friendly unit. The signal indicator in my dash is a stock bulb, so I didn't have to wire in a diode, but the highbeam and neutral indicators are LEDs. My DR looks pretty much stock until I light it up. It still uses less wattage than stock, and I haven't converted to an HID headlight yet. My lights all work as designed. A 3-position headlight switch is planned too.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote