Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #1456
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
FYI,,,we have a bearing packer,,will see if i can find the old post,,,

1,,we carefully remove seals

2,,we push the apcker filled with hi speed waterproof bearing grease till all the old grease is pushed out

3,,we then wipe all the excess grease from both sides of the bearing with our finger tip,,,this leaves the bearing fully packed around the bearings and their cage

4,,we re-install the seals

FYI #2 = if ya pack em so full that the grease oozes out from the seal,,it will continue to ooze out once the bearing warms up and the grease expands,,,that's counter-productive to have grease oozing all ove ryour wheels and possibly the brake disc....

remember 90% of the bearings assume they will be running at higher RPMs your wheel will hardly see 1,000RPM,,,hence they pack them with minimal amounts....and definitely NOT water-proof grease

woody
Thanks! I was hoping to find your post to get the accurate information/procedure...next best thing

I was shocked at the lack of grease in the SKF "sealed" bearings. The seals were easy to pop out and replace without damage.

Thank you again for your help and input here!!
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote