Thread: KTM Value
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
- Brembo brakes (not the best ones for the road IMO but great on the dirt if maintained well)

- Full adjustable WP suspension (48mm front on the KTM vs 45mm on the Tiger)

- Hydraulic clutch (IMO a must for the dirt)

- Excel wheels (some people managed to bend em, i still have to achieve that)

- V-twin = more torque (off-road torque is king!)

- More power (better engine for off-road and road, hands down. But i'm a LC8 fan so i may be biased )

- 265mm suspension travel front AND back on certain models and years (Triumph 220mm front and 215mm back - do you need the extra travel? I do since i bottom the 950S out already)

- 207kg vs 215kg (and the Tiger comes with weak handguards and a sucky ass bashplate vs KTM's sturdy handguards and bad-ass bashplate - it's still lighter!)

Basiclly, the KTM is kitted out better, suits off-road more then any dualsport on the market AND brings the most riding fun of them all.
Do you want to ride the pavement more -> pick any other dual-purpose for a lower price.
Do you want to rip the dirt more often and more extreme -> KTM adventure is the way to go. 990s/950s/990R preferable for the longer suspension travel.

Maintenance wise it's better do be a DIY guy on the KTM. I don't know the cost of the Tiger but the KTM costs an arm and a leg on big services if you can't do them yourself.
If you CAN do them yourself it's dirt cheap to maintain for the fun u get out of it. AND it is an easy bike to work on, not a fast one (at all lol) but it's put togeather very simple and intuitive.

Also, the knowledge gathered on this site about the Adventure is quite endless and good expertise is not hard to find here either.

Katoom72 screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 06:23 PM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote