View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Rampant Consumerism

1/19/13

I should preface this post by saying that I’m not against consumerism. I’ve eaten my share of $130 steaks and equally spendy slabs of raw tuna so you know I’m no hippee spewing vitriol about the evils of incorporation maaaaaan! I’m just in the mood for something different.

Jesus, I did it again! I have nothing against hippees. They’re fun.

…and again. I have no problem with anyone’s belief, or lack thereof, in Jesus.

Rampant Consumerism

The last large town I passed through yesterday was Myrtle Beach. To my amazement, even in winter time there are tons of people here eating, shopping, consuming. I suppose that I should have known better, if you know the name of a place that’s more than 100 miles from your house and it’s not from Discovery or The History Channel chances are that it’s a tourist hotspot.

Glitz and lights and the oddities of any modern city are a real testament to man and his creativity and capabilities. Sights like this Ferris Wheel, the Bellagio Fountains, the Sears Tower (or whatever the fuck they call it now), and pretty much everything in Los Angeles deserve to be admired and awed over, but for me it can get to be sensory overload. Sometimes a dood just needs to get away from all that in order to, not only to experience natural wonders, but to regain appreciation for the conveniences of modern life. That’s where I’m at.

They’re raping Mother Nature, MAAAAAAAN!

Wouldya help me get this into my van?

On the other extreme… I have this recurring daymare that I feel like I need to beware of. I’m not too shabby at holding a conversation, but I have some trepidation about actually starting a conversation with a stranger. My appearance doesn’t really help the situation, either. I’m not exactly approachable. Because of my travels there have been many occasions where I would’t see anyone I actually knew for weeks at a time, and sometimes during these trips there have been multiple days in a row where I’ve not actually spoken to a single person. I can see myself going 3/4 Unabomber. A 10 by 10 cabin out in the wilds of Utah or Arizona, wiling myself into days of beard growing, manifesto writing, and subsisting on a steady diet of cat food and bugs. I’d only be 3/4 Unabomber because I could never actually build a pipe bomb or hurt anyone.

I had pretty much the same experience today with Hilton Head Island and Historic Downtown Savannah. All very nice, but I’m moving at a different speed at the moment. I did manage to snap a few pics of the Intercoastal Waterway at Hilton Head.

Camping in Savannah is just as pricey as the Days Inn at Richmond Hill sooooo…

ICW at Hilton Head

ICW at Hilton Head

I didn’t see any fish, but…

…are these Clams or Oysters, or what? (grew up land locked)

I HATE when this happens.

View Larger Map

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 11:55 AM
NoMoIke is offline   Reply With Quote