View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
What`s the ring gap???????

I`ve never seen this on the XR650L..i`ve used quite a few in rebuilds i`ve done....

And did you bore the cylinder....sounds like an out of round cylinder to me...i`d have a proffesional measure it in 3 spots and at 3 different areas down the bore....

B
its not out of round thats for sure..not only did the pro spec it out i trust him as ive been using him since the early 90s...but when i found this i checked it myself..perfectly round...im not sure how you would "gap" the oil ring since its the wavy one...so i took the "holding" wire out of one side and set the ring in and let it overlap itself then mic'd it came out about -1.5mm as in its that much TOO BIG..hell there isnt even a spec for its gap...as for the bore its a 101..the thought crossed my mind to file fit it but i wasnt sure if it was suposed to be a tight fit for some reason but this seems to me like it would score the crap out of things or wear itself thin and break apart..worse is to file fit it the tab points in the ridges wont be the same....so...im baffled

sh0rtlife screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 12:07 PM
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote