Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #27007
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
And the latest in our government looking out for our best interests...

The NETRMA (North East Texas Regional Mobility Association, or something like that) is holding a meeting tomorrow to discuss whether or not to ban bicycles on a brand new toll road in my home town. This is not a toll road like most of you are used to. It is two lanes with a shoulders on each side as wide as a lane. This is a road built for the future, with not much traffic now but built with the ability to expand to multiple lanes going each direction in the future.

Anyway, due to the very large shoulders, low traffic, and gentle grades this is now one of the most popular roads in the area to ride on. Why someone thinks it is a good idea to ban bicycles is beyond me, especially in a region with some of the highest obesity rates in the state. Anyway, if any one reading this can be there, the meeting is at 1:30 PM January 22, 2013 at:

Baymont Inn
410 Hwy 79 South
Henderson, TX 75654

To my knowledge the only roads prohibited from bicycles in Texas are those part of the Federal Interstate System. Everywhere else they have full rights of other vehicles. Due to that I do not know what authority the NETRMA has to do this, but I suspect since the meeting is called they think they can.