View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #28
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

Oddometer: 243
Adventure Log 4 - First Impression: WOW.

Hiya Fellow Adventurers,

So, after 33 hours of travel and one hell of an acclimation to the +10 hour time-difference (ouch), I am finally happily and healthily in South Africa. So far we have been introduced to the R 1200 GS and accessory product lines, and had an opportunity to bend the ears of the designers & engineers with questions, questions, questions. Pretty Kickass.

I have pages and pages of notes to share and, sadly, no time to publish them just yet... As I type it’s nearly Midnight here, and I must be up in less than 6 hours to prep for a full day of riding. But I promise you, the review is on its way… In the meantime, here is a taste of what’s coming…

It is not fair to offer a judgment of the bike without riding it… But so far, color me very, very impressed. It seems the engineers made efforts to ensure this new GS improves upon just about every element of its predecessors, from the most obvious details to the nit-pickiest opportunities for improvement. As a passionate follower of the GS historical lineup, I am blown away by some of the new developments this machine will offer. Again, more on that to come.

Tomorrow, we ride the bike. …And for that matter, get to hear it running..! I’m pretty excited. The plan is to take a dual sport ride to South African parts unknown, where we will put this machine through its paces. They have been a bit vague about where we’re going and what to expect… But, we do know to pack for an over-nighter, and that “camping” is involved. Regardless, suffice to say I intend to learn as much as I can about the bike via a barrage of high-speed, on-road / off-road hammerings.

More soon… For now, please enjoy the attached video, and wish me luck on the coming ride. Rock on!

- Rosalia de Castro
ShawnWorks is offline   Reply With Quote