View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
They also have few mid sized street bikes for sale in the US.
The jump is a 250 to a few 650's I think.
There are a number of 250's, which are too small for the US speed limits and distances no matter how good the motor is, plus they tend to be very small in overall size.
The new Ninja 300 helps I suppose, where are the rest of the 300/350's?
What is the speed limit in Texas now, 85 mph?

I am sure all the manufacturers have a bunch of old proven engine designs around that just need the addition of FI and a cat to make them good, dr350 and dr650 motors, a drz 400 motor with a wide ratio trans.
Would it really cost them much to change a gear or two in the DRZ to get a wide ratio trans for the US?

You would think it would be easy to just stick a wide ratio drz 400 motor in a street bike as well, one motor, two bikes, a dual sport and a mid size sport bike?

Take the dr650 motor and make a TU650 out of it, and a light 650 sport bike.

So what do they do? They seem to come up with totally new designs for anything new they come up with.

In the past, Honda used the same basic motor in three bikes! The sl/cl/cb 350 comes to mind.

So what is wrong with using something like a drz motor in quads, street bikes, and dual sport bikes?
Would that not save a boat load of money?

I for one do not think the people in charge are always so smart.
The 85mph speed limit in Texas is only on ONE road and only for 40 miles or so (and it is a toll road). Most other interstate speed limits in the US is 70mph or lower. I have a klx250sf and at my 200lbs (5'11") I can do the speed limit on all these other interstates. I have ridden for hours and hours at 70mph on the little bike with no problem maintaining that speed (top speed is 80mph). It has 6 gears and I am looking for a 7th gear. Top gear is the top gear, no matter how many gears are between the lowest and tallest.
You cant just take a dr650motor and put it in a TU frame. The TU frame was designed and built for a 250 motor, not the weight of a 650 motor; they would have to redesign and build a typically different frame.
Honda may be getting in the act of mid-size dual sport bikes with the c500x (got to wait until they are on the market), and it should be around the $6000-$6500 range, FI, and I believe 6 speeds, just what the OP was asking for. But somebody on here will complain about it, for not having enough folk traver, not enough adjustable rear shock, etc.......
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote