View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
GapRunr,
Not sure where you are getting your specs, but right off of the BMW Motorrad USA site:

The weight difference fueled and ready to ride is 53 lbs....that is substantial.
That's the new water cooled GS. Hence why I said "the oil cooled R12GS is 32 pounds heavier than the F8GS". I assumed we were talking about the oil cooled 1200 since people were providing anectodal comparisons, which would be difficult to do with a bike that hasn't really hit the streets yet. The ADV on BMW's site is still an oil cooled bike. I would expect that a water cooled ADV would be heavier, which means it will probably be at least 100 pounds more than an F800GS. That's going to heavily offset any advantages the lower CoG, better clutch feel, power delivery. etc. brings to the party. Given the overall size of an oil cooled ADV, it's amazing it doesn't way a lot more. What's really stunning is that it weighs *less* than BMW's new 650 Scooter.

Only BMW would make their F800GS comparatively lighter by increasing the weight of the next bike up the food chain!