View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #587
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I don't have an F800 GS but for some reason I read through all 40 pages here as it was quite interesting.

Still have one question. The Series regulator talked about earlier like the Compufire is listed as ouputting 30% of the total current the OEM stator would when demand is low. I'm not sure if I misread one of the posts but wayyyy back in the pages I thought it was mentioned the series regulator will provide less power most of the time but when you need the full capacity of the stator, it will allow it to provide that.

Then later there was quite a few posts weighing the benefits or probability whether each rider could "deal" with the reduced power output of the series regulator or whether they would need more power for heated gear and gadgets.

Question is does the series regulator only always output a reduced current from the stator and thus "derating" the stator output ALLL the time? OR does it provide up to the 400 watts if needed but if not needed ramps stator output down to say 100 watts for the majority of the running time?

Reasons I'm curious the F650 Funduros are notorious for eating their VRR's ( regulator rectifiers) and my current one from an F650 GS while better, is on it's way out. Testing the stator output I noticed quite a noticeable jump in RPM's when the stator leads to the VRR are disconnected for testing. If the Series regulator like the Compufire could do similar on my application it may be worth considering...but only if at some point I'd have access to all 280w of my charging system's power.

Incidentally, I just ordered an FH020AA for my little beast. They do quite well on the Funduros and I like a safe bet.

J