View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
mutt2jeff OP
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
Building a better windscreen

So, it winter, and I am bored. The bike is sitting in storage on its battery tender, so this is the perfect time to tinker, right?

Anyway, we all know the stock windshield/fairing sucks. The constant buffeting drove me completely up the wall commuting last summer, and I think I can do a better job. Its also been a long time since I have spent much time on ADVrider, so I think a build thread is in order.

The premise is this. I want to build a shorter screen, with a nice little lip. It will be made of carbon fiber, and preferably a little bit lighter than stock. This is sort of an experiment for building more complex parts for different bikes later on, so I choose the 950 windscreen because

1. Its an extremely simple part to make a mold of and experiment with
2. I have one, and am intimately familiar with the issues

So, where do we start? First thing to do is get the damn windshield off. Its 15 degrees out, and two of the screws are frozen into two of the stupid rubber grommit mounts. So I have to pry those out and use plyers on them, f*ing brilliant!

Anyways, next up is clean the part up, and mount it to our laminate board! The very first step of this process is simply to make a casting of the outside using fiberglass. So, we tape it down to the board so it cant move around.

Now, I would prefer not to ruin my perfect good windshield during this process, so it is going to need a couple coats of mold release, PVA. This is sprayed on with a paint gun, and left to dry.

My buddy, who has a decade of experience building carbon fiber performance parts for airplanes, giving me a hand.

Next up, fill the holes with clay, cut out some squares of fiberglass that are big enough, and start loading them up with resin!

We can really load it up, remember that right now, we are just copying the part so that we can make an actual mold to lay CF in. So we don't care if there is too much resin, or even much about how it looks. Here you can see the screen before we roll the air out.

And here it is mid rolling. You gently roll the air bubbles and creases out of the fiberglass, and set it to dry. It needs about 24 hours at this point, So tomorrow I will look at it and see if there is a need for a second layer, depending on how rigid it is. If it does, it will be another 24 hours. This is a very boring part of the build, basically just waiting for things to dry. Half and hour of work, 24 hours to dry, lol

More tomorrow!

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote