View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #599
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The lower output referred to earlier in the thread is a reference only to the stated maximum ratings of the particular model of VR and the possibility of overloading it on the F800. Overall a good series VR will provide more of the stator output to the machine than a shunt VR

In general terms the series VR open circuits the stator in the process of regulating and a shunt VR short circuits the stator to ground hence the shunt regulator applies a constant load to the stator and this increases stator temperature

The other benefit of a series VR is the lower engine load it creates and so a very small increase in usable engine power can result. BMW are using slightly different techniques on the cars to reduce fuel consumption and increase engine response by "disconnecting" the alternator output under constant throttle and acceleration. They have called it "regenerative charging" which is only slightly misleading

I'm most interested in it from an engine load point of view. With the possible freeing up of a pony or two or more like better fuel mileage it is enticing. Obviously other bikes have used it and with Harley's looking like they should literally shake themselves to a pile of bolts, the Compufire is targeted to that market. A failure would likely leave an imprint on the net I would guess.

Wayne, you're familiar with the F650's...would this be worth considering? Or is a perfectly well running bike that most definitely not erupt in flames a better option?

J

I know it's not that simple and sorry for steering this thread off the mark but I figure at 40 pages a page or two of nonsense won't hurt.