View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #32625
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've been running the 13/47 combo for over a year after the 12/43 gearing (very close to 13/47, BTW) caused my chain to eat into my rubber swing arm guard. Since the change to larger front and rear sprockets I've had no issues with wear on the swingarm guard.

FWIW, I went with a Primary Drive brand (from Rocky Mountain MC) sprockets and their gold x-ring chain (110-link). The total cost with shipping, including a spare master link, was just under $101. After more than 12k miles it's still looks great.
Based on this same advice, I ordered a Primary Drive 47, to use with the like-new OEM 13 front, which the previous owner had replaced with a 12. I like 12/43, so 13/47 should be spot-on. I am waiting for the OEM chain to need replacing, and monitoring the seal-guard closely.

I did live-chat with a rep at Rocky Mountain, and he wasn't able to help. The PD sprockets look to have both straight and countersunk holes.

Can you confirm whether I need different rear sprocket bolts than the OEMs? It seems to be mentioned frequently, but I haven't seen a conclusive reply.

Thanks!