Thread: Pucker moment
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,781
Just to throw in a different angle: I have never noticed that much difference between sintered and organic pads or pads in general. I use organic pads because they are the easiest on my rotors. I have worn out a lot of rotors. I have literally worn out almost as many rotors as I have pads if you count pulsing rotors as worn out! Sintered pads seem to eat my rotors. If I include all the half worn pads I have replaced after replacing a pulsing rotor I have for sure worn out more rotors than pads!

I do notice a big difference with different rotor alloys. IMO, rotor material is a big part of the equation. Personally, I run stock rotors but I also run Brembo calipers.

Good braking with swinging calipers is an uphill battle. They are a bad design from the get go. An over inch tall pad that swings on a super short radius to meet a flat rotor? Good rotor/pad contact is impossible.

IMO too much lever travel via larger caliper/MC ratio decreases braking control. Not enough 'feedback' IMO. I prefer a firm lever. Not too firm but firm.

Personally, I wouldn't own and ride a bike regularly that has ATE swinging calipers but if I did I would start improving the setup with a handlebar mounted MC and steel braided lines. That stock MC setup is somehow the worst of two worlds combined.

supershaft screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:57 PM
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote