View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Grizzly Adams, Les Stroud, Bear Grylls, and NoMoIke...

1/20/13

If you took all of those fellows, picked their heaviest and bluntest sponsored camping gear, and smashed them together, theyíd still be better campers than I am. They do, however, have the benefit of experience.

It was a glorious day for riding, the temperature was perfect in the sixties, the sun was not threatened by a single cloud, and my Zumo seemed to be picking the roads with the most curves and least amount of traffic. Iíve heard that some find Corbin seats to be a bit too firm, but I find mine perfect and I just didnít want to get out of it today. 198 miles just didnít seem to be enough!

Another 200 miles wouldnít have been out of the question, but seeing as I was in a really positive frame of mind I decided to break my camping cherry. After a quick run through of REIís Half Dome 2 Plus instructions and 15 minutes of orientation my home for the night was secure and standing on its own. Not quite Bob Vila building a twin to the Biltmore out of reclaimed barn wood and a sharpened spoon, but Iím pretty proud.

There were a few hiccups at that point. I didnít bring any water. The fire pit was enticing, but is going unused because I neglected to bring anything to cut up any wood or any form of kindling. If Tom Hanks could do it on a deserted island, Iím sure I could manage to get a fire going if my life depended on it, but my life doesnít depend on it and I wanted to finish my day relaxing. Iíll be sure to remedy these shortcomings before my next night in the sticks.

A proud family.

My Campground Greeter

Glad I bought these MSR bottles. I really need to pay more attention to my fuel gauge!

Most of the comforts...

The river near my single serving home

View Larger Map

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 12:56 PM
NoMoIke is offline   Reply With Quote