View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #239
Jedl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
That is the case if one did not actually ever aggressively ride a bicycle - being one of those people who pedal their ass around at a snail's pace on some high handlebared two wheeler like so many do.
And that is exactly the group to which I was referring.

Quote:
Cyclists are those riding roads down hill at 40-50 mph with curves in the road, mountain biking. and BMX stuff, actual challenging riding. Stuff like that.
My post did not refer to, nor was it intended to imply any correlation relative to the skills that "cyclist" may or may not have.

Quote:
Your classic example of the new motorcycle owner crashing was likely a bicycle "pedaler", not actually riding a bicycle in any aggressive fashion.
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Most people who mention bicycle experience usually are bringing it up because they have ridden bicycles aggressively.
Really, you think so?? Such has not been my experience. A very high percentage of people that ride motorcycles, knew how to ride a bicycle at a basic level before they started riding motorcycles. I'm confident that a much smaller fraction of those people were skilled cyclists before they started riding motorcycles. Again, I was talking about people that know how to ride a bicycle, not highly-skilled cyclists, but people who learned how to ride a bicycle as a kid and then assume that they will know how to operate a motorcycle because of that limited experience.

I have no issue with your description of how experienced cyclists approach riding bicycles at a high / aggressive level or how those skills relate to motorcycle dynamics. My comments about bicyclists was about what you've called "peddlers". Fair enough ??

Quote:
It is great to be aware of countersteering, but to make it a distraction trying to "science it out" for every turn is foolhardy. If one comprehends it, then play with it, and make it apply to instant reactions. That is what I've been saying. I'm betting there are some seriously talented riders that couldn't tell you anything about countersteering, but do it fluently. It isn't necessary to know it, just to do it.
Isn't that exactly what I've said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedl
To the OP: Yes, you should be able to consciously counter-steer. It would be a good thing for you to be aware of your counter-steering if that helps you internalize the technique. No, you don't have to fully understand the physics of how a motorcycle turns, unless that knowledge will help you enjoy the experience more deeply and/or make you a safer rider.
Did I "science it out" in my language to the OP?

Quote:
When one has some serious bicycle experience the skills do transfer. I've seen it. Cyclists that make the jump effortlessly. Do not mistake those cyclists for people who just pedal around usually in too high a gear or on a beach bomber with the seat 6" too low and a pair of high bars at about 6 mph.
I have not nor would I make such a mistake. I know how to ride a bicycle. I am not a cyclist, but I know enough cyclists to have great respect for their mad skills and courage that far eclipses mine relative to riding human power bikes at speed and over obstacles. I stand by my original post within the scope of the thread at that point. Feel free to read "basic bicycle riding skills" wherever I said "how to ride a bicycle" if that makes my post easier on your eyes.

cheers,
Jedl is online now   Reply With Quote